17 July 2007

Oma Timmerman - 1914-2007

Today, at the age of 92, my maternal grandmother ("Oma in Holland", Hendrikje Timmerman-Doornbos) completed this earthly journey and went home to be with the Lord. She's pictured here with three of her six sons (there were also three daughters, including my mother of course) and five of her over 50 grandchildren (I'm wearing the tie), on the last day I saw her, which was Sunday 14 August 2005, as I was in Holland for a conference. I visited her in 1994 and 2003 as well, but before that, from as early as I can remember (say, 1972?) until 1988, Opa and Oma came to Canada for six to eight weeks once every two years. I thank God for her, and for the many wonderful memories. We in Canada (only two of her children are here) were very privileged to have their frequent lengthy visits. After Opa's ill health, they didn't come to Canada together again, but Oma came to my oldest sister's wedding in '96, after Opa died in '94.

My Oma had long black hair, which only in the last few years included any signs of grey. She also had amazing abilities: she could tell body temperature by hand, as well as accurately determine the weight of bundles of newspaper (she helped us tie them up in the 70s and 80s when our Christian school in Fergus/Guelph made $50 (?) per truckload). Plus, she could "divine water"; in fact, reaching over from behind me, holding my wrists with her strong hands, the Y-shaped willow branch would turn when we walked past the waterline running from the house to the barn. She knew all kind of cures, including this one for my sunburnt & blistered back (I mowed the Bouwman's lawn with no shirt for three or four hours when I was about 14): a tea-towel soaked in buttermilk was placed on my back. And my favourite memory of Opa were his sing-song mealtime prayers in Dutch.

Praise God for her life and leadership and service!

1 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

Our condolences, Arnold and Valerie. We wish you and your family strength as you continue life on this earth. She has gone on ahead to meet her Lord!

Andrew and Marie

18/7/07 7:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home